Sunday, April 15, 2012

Poverty Line Lifestyle

Scenario: Family of four (both working parents, 7 year old and a 3 year old), youngest child needs day care, living at minimum subsistence level (poverty line).

Monthly Expenses:
Food/Groceries-$350
Household goods-Dry goods such as toilet paper, napkins, toothpaste, pull-ups or diapers for the 3 year old: Averaging about $100.
Housing-Assume family is renting a 2 bedroom duplex = $1,000.
Health/Medical Care-$400
Transportation-Since this family is functions at a minimum subsistence level, they would choose public transportation via bus or light rail: $245
Entertainment-$30 for random treats, toys, or movie night.
Clothing-The family would be utilizing thrift stores to keep this expense low: $100
Daycare-$800
*This list does not include means of communication (i.e. cell phone, phone booth, etc.)

Total monthly cost of expenses: $3,025
Annual subsistence budget: $3,025 x 12 = $36,300
Government official poverty line: $22,113 
 *Difference of $14,187


Taking a step into the life of someone who may be experiencing such a life style of living at the poverty line really puts things into perspective for me. While going through each category of expenses, I did not feel that I was being over generous with any of the given monthly amounts; However I managed to be $14,187 over the government official poverty line. It must be very difficult, to say the least, to live a life with two kids in such a way. Now that I need to take a look back at where the money was spent, there is no obvious place that I can subtract hundreds of dollars here or there. Considering that the food monthly expenses are fairly high, if I were in the position similar to this family, I would look into food shelves or cutting down on varieties of food and stick to the basics such as bread, butter, milk, cheese, etc. and work on being creative with the slim variety in the cupboards. For the household goods, the family could utilize natural diapers (cloth and clothespin) since Pampers or other diaper brands may become expensive. Entertainment would need to be taken out completely and the family must use parks and zoos as forms of entertainment. Clothing expenses can be lowered and spent only every couple months instead of monthly. In terms of transportation, one or both parents may choose to jog or walk to work rather than bus or light rail. These choices are unpleasant.

Being in a financial situation such as this would be uncomfortable for both the parents and the kids. One must live with such awareness and little to no freedom in their expenses. This must cause a lot of stress and hardship. I'm sure it is not simple for a parent to have to explain to their children why they can't have this treat or that toy or go to a movie they want to see. There is immediate discomfort carried along with those thoughts, both for the children and the parents. It makes me realize all the things in my life that I take for granted: Food, housing, and medical care to be of the biggest. I live at home, virtually for free. I do not pay a monthly living fee, nor am I asked to contribute financially. My mom does the grocery shopping for 7 people living in my house. The expense is not little, however, affordable for her income and budget. I eat when I'm hungry but also when I'm bored or "snacky." After traveling to a poverty stricken country, Nicaragua, and putting myself in scenarios of living at the poverty line, it makes me realize all the days gifts I receive which may be as simple as a sandwich. We order pizzas often, go to movies when we are bored, take vacations every spring, shop at the mall on weekends, get pops and candy out of vending machines... all these things are often overlooked as blessings. Makes me need to take a second to release myself of my bound up tied with a bow life, and take one humble step backwards to think of those families who may never experience my comfortable living condition.

The last thing that a parent in this situation would want is for these harsh living conditions to carry into their children's lives as move out as individuals in the world. Although this is of course not the desires of the parents, the life style in which the children grow up may effect their availability to resources about education (college) or potential career paths/opportunities. I often forget about how lucky I am to have computers and laptops available at my leisure. Some families don't have the opportunity to surf the web and research in hopes of aiding their children's future education. Though I do think that families living at the poverty line can very well avoid such an issue by being active in their community, reading newspapers, staying involved with elementary teachers at the 7 year old's school, etc. The children may be emotionally and of physically effected by living at minimal subsistence level. I bet it is not easy for kids to hear stories from friends about Disney land, or seeing new dolls and action figures. Maybe they must go through a night hungry and wishing they could have a hot meal but the parents budget that month had run out. Nonetheless, after putting myself in the position of living at the poverty line, I get the impression that it is tiresome, sad, and unpleasant for all family members experiencing the hardship.






No comments:

Post a Comment