Saturday, May 5, 2012

Additional Thoughts on Impressions

Since I have been enrolled in my first sociology course this semester I have become more aware of social situations and tend to take a second to naturally somewhat analyze what's going on. Most of my observations are of others and how their actions have related to topics we've covered, however, the other day I noticed behavior in myself regarding impression management. My previous blog post on the topic of Impression Management I had brought to attention the fact that I work as a nanny and this is where I've noticed I use first impression "tactics." Well, my jobs are currently very stable with the consistent four families that I nanny for. Until the other day I had a new job opportunity to nanny three kids for the first time. Being available, of course I took the mom up on the offer. Came time to head to their house, I noticed myself searching through my closet for something to change into even though I was dressed perfectly fine. This is when I stopped to think about what and why it was that I even cared to change? Of course what was happening was a trigger going off in my mind saying I needed to come off more "mom" like to look the roll of the care taker that I am. The only things I would definitely stray away from wearing to a job such as this would be clothing with any inappropriate phrases/words, or anything revealing/risk-ay. Since my clothing was not within either of those categories I decided to stick with what I had on for it was a subtle statement of who I am. I made a mental note to act very me since I have a newer confidence in my nannying career. And I did just that. Upon meeting the parents I kept my voice at in its normal key, for I had observed previously I tend to go into a higher, sweet sounding pitch. The introductions and evening with the three kids went well and smooth. I felt good sticking to my new idea of showing who I really am instead of who they may expect to see. The experience feels more personal and trustworthy when real character is revealed. There is no space for pretending to be someone I am not when it comes to caring for others children. I can only hope that when the day comes for me to hire my first nanny that I will feel and see the honesty and sincerity in them and with that, feel comfortable with my kids being left in his or her hands.

 
I woke up the following morning to a text from the mother reading, "Hey Grace! Kids had a blast last night-Thanks again for your care. We look forward to another night out in order for the kids to enjoy another fun filled evening with you." This was nothing short of fulfilling to read. A great start to my day and rest of impression management techniques (or lack their of) to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment