Sunday, March 18, 2012

Family

What family means to me continues to evolve as my life progresses. Of course, when I was younger, I knew family as those who I live with who share the same blood as me. But as I have grown and experienced relationships with people and felt love in multiple directions, I have realized that family is more a connection of those who truly love each other. Although the blood may not be consistent throughout these members, why does that have to be the deciding factor in who you label as a family member? Family has become a means of having each others backs, being able to be yourself, trusting, and enjoying being in the presence of each individual who shines these characteristics. I feel this "definition" came to me because there are some of my blood relatives who have failed to show love, kindness, and compassion and as a result I find myself losing respect. My life has transformed in a way that does not follow the cookie cutter US family. Divorces happen, gay relationships are real and to be respected as well as accepted, and multiracial marriages cannot and should not be restricted. Relationships involving love and family should in no way be interrupted by law or norms. The picture below shows some of my family! Five of the people are of blood relation, the other four are people who continuously show all the characteristics of what, for me, constitutes a family member.


There are, of course, some issues that are considered "sticky" when it comes to families. In particular, one topic I cannot directly speak from my heart about, but know a couple who have experienced some life long difficulties: a gay couple struggling to gain acceptance by one of the partner's family who lives in India. The story and heartbreak that it brings this couple makes me wish there was a world who understood that love is love. Partners of almost 15 years still remain in silence of their love for each other in fear of being rejected by fellow family members. No matter what sex, race, age... If the feeling is there, why can anyone make a judgement call or place an opinion on such a personal and intimate topic? It is a complex and dispiriting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment