Sunday, March 4, 2012

Nature vs. Nurture



I have taken two psychology courses that have briefly touched upon the Nature vs. Nurture debate, and each time I have learned some about the topic I have been left with questions and, I guess you could say, food for thought. I am glad that it has again came up in this course so I can thoroughly understand the logistics of this debate that has been controversial for centuries. I find it fascinating to study the theories of human development, for we are such complex beings.



When speaking in terms of nature and nurture, nature refers to the idea that we are who we are based off our genetics. Nurture, on the opposing end, refers to the idea that we are who we are because of the way to grow up and our environmental factors. 



By adopting the idea that we are who we are based off genetics, we are, as the book describes it, "the predetermined product of our genes and biochemistry." Personally, I have a difficult time digesting the notion that we are destine to mature and evolve into exactly what our genes and DNA codes for. It is, however, undeniable that genetics has an immense influence on who we are. It commonly known that parents pass on traits such as hair type, eye color, height, etc. to their offspring. The Nature argument includes these known facts but takes a step further in declaring that our genetics determine other traits such as personality and intelligence. There is no way to prove this to be exactly true, however, scientists have studied behavior in fraternal and identical twins raised together and also raised separately. Seeing similarities in their behaviors when raised separately implies that despite their differences in their environments in which they grew up, they still have similar qualities that must be attributed to their genes. This serves as an interesting study, however, I have had the experience of getting to know identical twins who displayed differences in interests, behaviors, and personality. These two girls were a year older than me, I was never super close with either of them but had the opportunity to get to know them both, separately, in different situations. One of the twins I was in an art class with. I enjoyed her presence in the class, her soft laugh and thoughtful input on my artworks. Her sister, on the other hand, I had gotten to know because our nightlife would often line-up. She acted completely different, loud laugh and striving to be the center of attention. It was always so intriguing to me, as a bystander, to analyze their behaviors and wonder how they became so different. Their case, in particular, proves to me that their environment and external factors have molded them into the people that they are today; separate dreams, personalities, habits, and interests.


In contrast, if Nurture exists as the theory of human development this implies, as the book explains, that we are born and "created from scratch by the people and the social institutions that surround us." Although this statement may strike some as extreme, there are many instances in which it is easy to declare that environment plays a crucial role in our development. For instance, I have experienced the impact of ones physical environment (location, demographics, and schooling) on their personality and daily behaviors.

 I have lived in Minneapolis since I was 2. My two girl cousins (one my age, other two years younger) grew up in Plymouth (a suburb of Minnesota) their whole lives. Growing up in Minneapolis I was exposed to city life, diversity, crime, art, etc. There were countless nights when I would have my cousins attempt a sleepover at my home in Minneapolis where their fear of the city would get the best of them. Their environment in which they grew up had and still has an impact on their behaviors even now as grown adults. There is no doubt about the fact that the nurture of a child plays a key role in the development of their personality and other aspects that define who they are. A child who is sheltered and does not become exposed to the world for what it is, rather, a select section of it in which ones parents determine-will grow up to have varying traits in personality than a child who is encouraged to experience the world in all aspects, regardless if situations are scary or dangerous.

The fact that each side of the argument (Nature or Nurture) has its faults, or exceptions to the rules, makes it clear to me that there must be a medium. Human life and development, as I stated before, is so complex... it only seems makes sense that there are factors of both nature and nurture that contribute to our growth and maturation.

This is my understanding of this continuous debate thus far in my studying and contemplation, feel free to add your opinion or thoughts!





No comments:

Post a Comment